[mythtv-users] Folders in Recordings

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:31:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:38:43 -0400, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Paul Wheeler wrote:
>

> >How easy to program and usefull would it be to have folders for
> >recordings i.e. A movies folder, etc. What do other people think?
> >

> IMHO, it's not worth the time/effort involved (changing the code to
> store path info in the database or to derive path info from program
> details, adding a UI for specifying/selecting directory, etc.).  Most
> unix filesystems use a linear searching algorithm within directories, so
> filesystem performance may suffer if storing several thousand files in a
> directory.  However, assuming you only record 30-minute programs and use
> MPEG-4 encoding, each file you record will be approximatly 0.5GB.
> Therefore several thousand of these files will require a huge storage
> array (i.e. 2000 files--which probably wouldn't be too big of a
> performance hit on most filesystems) will take 1000GB = 1TB.  Since most
> people record 1-hr shows and even 2-hr movies, the storage requirements
> would be even higher still, and you're likely to need many times that
> number of files to suffer performance problems.  Just make sure that you
> put all your music/videos/images/etc. into other directories (or
> subdirectories of your recordings directory).
>
> If searching the list of files is the problem, check out mythlink.sh in
> the contrib directory of the MythTV source.  With it, you can create
> "views" of your recordings with any structure you like using soft links
> to the "ugly" filenames used by Myth.  I currently have it modified to
> create one view sorted by date/time and another view sorted by program
> title and it runs every 30 minutes in a cron job.  It would also be
> possible to have it create a directory structure based on some criteria
> (i.e. one directory per show title--like the "Watch Recordings" dialog
> in Myth uses--with episodes listed underneath, or one directory per
> genre with titles listed underneath, or both :).
>
> Mike

Paul, do you mean a "Movie recordings" folder within the MythTV
frontend interface, so that it's easy to find your movies when
browsing recordings?

Or do you mean a "Movie recordings" directory in the Linux file hierarchy?

I suspect you mean the former, which I would think should be doable.
In fact, that would be really nice. The "Watch Recordings" dialog
works great for TV series, but it doesn't make as much sense to have
each movie listed on its own.

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003