[mythtv-users] nvidia tv-out - how do you do it? Better, but not there yet.

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 18:12:56 UTC 2004

>> john salch wrote:
>>
>>> The following works for me to offer two screens:
>>>
>>> # XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config
>>>
>>> Section "ServerLayout"
>>>     Identifier     "Default Layout"
>>>        Screen      0  "Screen TV"
>>>        Screen      1  "Screen LCD" RightOf "Screen
>>> TV"
>>>     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>>>     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>>>     InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "Files"
>>>
>>> # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note,
>>> this is the name of the # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or
>>> ".db"). There is normally
>>> # no need to change the default.
>>> # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
>>> concatenated together)
>>> # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font
>>> server independent of
>>> # the X server to render fonts.
>>>     RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
>>>     ModulePath  "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia"
>>>     ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"
>>>     ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
>>>     FontPath     "unix/:7100"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "Module"
>>>     Load  "dbe"
>>>     Load  "extmod"
>>>     Load  "fbdevhw"
>>>     Load  "glx"
>>>     Load  "record"
>>>     Load  "freetype"
>>>     Load  "type1"
>>>     Load  "v4l"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "InputDevice"
>>>
>>> # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled
>>> (eg, with xset(1))
>>> #    Option    "Xleds"        "1 2 3"
>>> # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment
>>> XkbDisable.
>>> #    Option    "XkbDisable"
>>> # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard,
>>> modify the
>>> # lines below (which are the defaults).  For example,
>>> for a non-U.S.
>>> # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
>>> #    Option    "XkbModel"    "pc102"
>>> # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can
>>> use:
>>> #    Option    "XkbModel"    "microsoft"
>>> #
>>> # Then to change the language, change the Layout
>>> setting.
>>> # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
>>> #    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
>>> # or:
>>> #    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
>>> #    Option    "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
>>> #
>>> # If you'd like to switch the positions of your
>>> capslock and
>>> # control keys, use:
>>> #    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
>>> # Or if you just want both to be control, use:
>>> #    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
>>> #
>>>     Identifier  "Keyboard0"
> [...]

I've now got both a TV and a Monitor displayed. What confused me was the
some xorg.conf's had TwinDisplay and some did not. I have it set up not
as TwinDisplay but with two separate Device, Monitor and Screen displays.
What I was missing was the     BusID    option. -- if you do not have
this, then it will not work.

Now, I have a two x displays: one for my monitor at 1280 and one for the
tv at 800x.
My next problem is to find out how to display MythTV output on the TV.
The only option that I found in mplayer to do this was xinerama. But,
when I set this to ON in xorg.conf and restart x I get an error that
RANDR crashed.

First of all, I don't know if this is the right or wrong way to push
MythTV output to the second monitor (TV).
Or, if there is a better way.

Anyone?