[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv newcomer.. need help setting up live tv

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Oct 20 17:32:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:05:00PM -0400, Evan Burrows wrote:

> One other thing on the point that i just made.  If the tv tuner on the
> pvr-350 can't handle digital cable then if i used the suggestion
> offered before to put the splitter on the output of my cable box
> wouldn't that mean that out of that splitter if one cable went to my
> tv and another went to my myth box that they would be forced to watch
> the same channel since it would be user the tuner in the cable box?

Yes.  I don't think I'd call what's in the cable box a "tuner",
but the end result is the same.

> So if the tuner in the pcr-350 only handles analog that would mean
> that i would have to go out and buy another tuner card so i could
> watch and record tv at the same time?

I don't see how buying another tuner card would help.  What you
would need is a second digital cable-box.

> Also the main selling point of the pvr-350 is its tv out, but
> in order to use this you would have to be using the tv tuner
> in the pvr-350

No.  You can use the TV-out when watching recordings or when
watching the S-video signal from the cable-box (I assume it has
S-video out).

> (which is looking like i won't be able to), so essentially
> since i can't use digital cable on the pvr-350 tuner

You can if you run S-video from the cable-box into the PVR-350.

> then i spent the extra money when i should have just
> gotten a pvr-250.

That depends on whether you want the nice hardware MPEG-2
decoding provided by the '350.

> Also say that i connect my coax cable from the cable box to my
> tv

I'm afraid the term "coax cable" is so vague it's meaningless.
What is that "coax cable"? Is it composite video, modulated RF
with NTSC on channel 3, analog audio, digital audio, what?

> (and don't run one to my myth box) that would mean that I
> would be able to record shows because i can set that svideo
> connection as my cable input but that would mean that i would
> not have the mythtv interface on my tv unless I connected my
> graphics card to my tv since nothing would be running on the
> pvr-350 tv out.

Now I'm completely confused.

> I am making this harder than it needs to be because i am
> really starting to confuse myself

Me too.

--
Grant Edwards