[mythtv-users] Re: S-video cable length?

Ben Buxton mythtv at ml.cactii.net
Wed Oct 20 08:32:18 UTC 2004

Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> uttered the following thing:

> Rather than thinking it as a max-length, it's best to think of it as how
> much signal degradation there is over a certain length. I believe
> S-Video will start to noticeably degrade after about 50-60ft, but it
> also depends on the original signal and the cable quality. After that,
> you should probably use RG6 with adapters on each end. But, 25 ft should
> be fine with quality cable and a good signal.

I'm running a 20 metre (65 feet) S-Video cable between my Nvidia MX 440 and my TV
(the myth box is in a quiet closet), and I dont see any degradation
at all. The cable even runs past a fridge and a microwave oven.

Just make sure to buy a good quality cable - such as having two
separately shielded cores.

Presumably there's also a need for a long audio cable...SPDIF is the way
to go here if your amp supports it as it's noise free.

BB