[mythtv-users] S-video cable length?

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 05:40:23 UTC 2004

Bill Chmura wrote:

>I've seen S-Video cables for sale up to 150' long.  Although I can't image
>that there would not be some sort of signal degradation over that long a run.
>I have not done that long myself.   I don't think there is a max length so to
>speak, but there is probably a limit at which you need to amplify or go to a
>different kind of cable then convert back.
>
>But in your case, 20 feet, you should be fine if you get a good quality cable
>that long.   A good quality 25' cable should run between $30-40 USD.  I would
>avoid really cheap ones.   You could spend more on professional A/V stuff
>(like $75 or so) but that could be overkill for ya.
>
>Best of luck
>

>On Tuesday 19 October 2004 11:58 pm, Andy Firman wrote:
>

>>I just bought the PVR-350 card as I want to do a standard
>>MythTV setup on my Debian server/desktop and watch my recordings
>>on our 32" TV.  The S-video cable is very short.  I was hoping to
>>have my Debian box at a desk that is about 20 feet away from the TV.
>>
>>I can easily run coax to the Debian box.  What is the max length
>>for S-video cable runs?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Andy

Rather than thinking it as a max-length, it's best to think of it as how
much signal degradation there is over a certain length. I believe
S-Video will start to noticeably degrade after about 50-60ft, but it
also depends on the original signal and the cable quality. After that,
you should probably use RG6 with adapters on each end. But, 25 ft should
be fine with quality cable and a good signal.