[mythtv-users] Processor Requirements for different HDTV formats?

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 05:34:23 UTC 2004

--- Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> wrote:

> Are you using a 1080i mode, or a 540p (1920x540)
> mode?  Either way, the
> in-card scaling (from 720p) is not as good as it
> could be, but I think
> it's a bit worse for 1080i -- I'm not actually
> convinced the nVidia
> driver is doing interlaced output properly.

I'm using a 1080i modeline.  Haven't tried the 540p
line 'cuz I want every pixel I'm entitled to! ;-)  How
much of the scaling is due to the nVidia driver, and
how much is handled by XFree86 and myth?  If I were to
get a different card would the scaling be better?

> If you used a VGA->Component converter, would your
> TV accept 720p and do
> the scaling itself?

Good idea.  I checked the manual and, alas, no joy.
The component video input can take 1080i or 480p only.
If you get any ideas, I'm all ears.  I'm highly
motivated to get the last erg of resolution from my
system.  Football games are great to watch in hi-def,
but the field lines are so distracting.