[mythtv-users] Processor Requirements for different HDTV formats?

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Wed Oct 20 01:57:42 UTC 2004

Joe Barnhart wrote:
> I'm not 100% happy with the image quality, tho.  I am
> seeing much more "jaggies" on the screen than I
> expect.  If I watch a similar source w/o my myth box,
> you can hardly see the jaggies.  With myth, the lines
> on the football field turn into dashed lines depending
> on the angle of the camera.  It's really annoying.
>
> It appears that the worst offender is 720p source
> played on my 1080i modeline.  (All the football games
> I've recorded lately have been on FOX and ABC -- both
> 720p stations here.)  I can't change the modeline and
> let the TV handle scaling because my Pioneer RPTV
> doesn't support anything but 1080i on its VGA input.
> I suspect the frame isn't being rendered correctly --
> that perhaps I'm only getting half the field, or
> getting the same field two times.  My 1080i shows have
> similar but less pronounced jaggies.

Are you using a 1080i mode, or a 540p (1920x540) mode?  Either way, the
in-card scaling (from 720p) is not as good as it could be, but I think
it's a bit worse for 1080i -- I'm not actually convinced the nVidia
driver is doing interlaced output properly.

If you used a VGA->Component converter, would your TV accept 720p and do
the scaling itself?

-Doug