[mythtv-users] Processor Requirements for different HDTV formats?

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 01:22:14 UTC 2004

--- Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> So are you all good to go now, Joe?

Yep.  I've pulled out my Athlon m/b and replaced it
with an Abit AS8 and 3GHz P4.  It works much better
with Xv and HDTV resolutions.  I can record and watch
shows without stuttering, even when flagging in the
background.

I'm not 100% happy with the image quality, tho.  I am
seeing much more "jaggies" on the screen than I
expect.  If I watch a similar source w/o my myth box,
you can hardly see the jaggies.  With myth, the lines
on the football field turn into dashed lines depending
on the angle of the camera.  It's really annoying.

It appears that the worst offender is 720p source
played on my 1080i modeline.  (All the football games
I've recorded lately have been on FOX and ABC -- both
720p stations here.)  I can't change the modeline and
let the TV handle scaling because my Pioneer RPTV
doesn't support anything but 1080i on its VGA input.
I suspect the frame isn't being rendered correctly --
that perhaps I'm only getting half the field, or
getting the same field two times.  My 1080i shows have
similar but less pronounced jaggies.

I don't want to end this on a negative note.  I am
thrilled to have it work as well as it does. I've been
wallowing in the pure eye-candy of HDTV shows.  The
opening aerial shots of Las Vegas or Miami (on CSI)
are really eye-popping.

MythTV absolutely rocks!