[mythtv-users] Keeping cool while keeping smooth

Jesse Adelman someone at boldandbusted.com
Tue Oct 19 22:45:20 UTC 2004

Hi all. My little Shuttle box would be an oven were it not for adding
"-S24" to the hdparm boot script. My hard drives (two 200GB IDE Seagate
Barracudas) would hover around 50C, and still get warm when working,
but now sit around 39C while the box is idle. This helps keep the box's
overall temps down - very important since the room the box sits in gets
hot on sunny days and it is located inside a TV stand that doesn't
allow for great air circulation.

However, this means that sometimes there is a "pause" in viewing while
waiting for a disk to spin-up. I haven't seen this in action yet, but
I'd also guess there is a delay in starting recordings (I already start
recordings 1 minute in advance anyway, to offset time synchronization
issues between the networks). Anyone have some suggestions to improve
this setup (other than turning off the spin-down completely)?

Thanks in advance!

=====