[mythtv-users] Answers about pcHDTV HD-3000 support in Myth, QAM support, and more

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Tue Oct 19 20:02:02 UTC 2004

At 9:53 AM -0600 10/19/04, Brandon Beattie wrote:
>Here are some answers that questions that many people are going to be
>asking/re-asking about the pcHDTV hd-3000 card, and to save confusion...

Thanks Brandon!  I just have one legal update:

>Q: Can I use these cards after July 1st 2005?
>
>A: Yes you can use them, they are "grandfathered" into the new
>regulations.  It will always be completely legal to use them.  The card
>ignores the

flag's do-not-redistribute

>  bit and if a show has this bit enabled, the
>card doesn't care and will save the stream in full quality anyway.
>
>Q: Can I get a card after July 1st 2005?

A: You may have to pay a premium on eBay.  Anyone who's willing to
part with one can still sell a card manufactured before July 1, but
it will be unlawful to manufacture or import from abroad a card that
does not comply with the broadcast flag.

(the prohibition is on import into the U.S., not interstate sales)

>A: This becomes a very gray area.  From what I have heard, the
>regulation prohibits you from SELLING devices cross STATE boundries that
>do not follow the new regulations.  From what I hear, if you assemble
>a HD tuner yourself, it is still legal.  I know though that the
>HD-3000 card will not be sold after July 1st 2005 if the EFF and other
>groups don't win the case to fight the broadcast flag.  I am 100% sure
>this is not the end of HDTV in Myth or any computer, and I'm not just
>refering to using firewire or usb from dish/cable boxes to get the HD
>into Myth.  For the next little while I can't comment though.
>
>If I missed a common question let me know, or feel free to contact me
>off list.

--Wendy
http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.com || wendy at eff.org
Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://wendy.seltzer.org/