[mythtv-users] so close... yet so far

Bo Najdrovsky myth at najdrovsky.com
Tue Oct 19 19:19:36 UTC 2004

Well after a long hiatus, I decided to pick up my hidef HTPC project
again, and give MythTV another try, but this time I decided to go with
the Knoppmyth distribution R4V5.

I have had a lot more success than on my previous attempts, but there
are still several issues that are nagging, which I haven't been able to
resolve, so I thought I'd try my luck on the list.  Before I proceed,
here is my hardware:

7nif2 microATX motherboard with nForce2 MCP/IGP chipset.
Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton core)
512MB DDR
120 GB HD
pcHDTV2000 tuner card
I'm using the integrated motherboard video with the latest nVidia 6111
drivers,
and onboard sound with SPDIF in/out connectors using ALSA 1.0.6 driver.

Now, here are the issues:
1) AC3 passthough does not work, but PCM does.  I have the Myth box
connected to my Sony STR-DB930 surround sound receiver via an optical
cable, no analog connection at all.  When I uncheck the AC3 pass through
in the frontend setup, I can hear the audio perfectly (but it's not
5.1), however if I check it, then the following happens:  The Sony
receiver recognizes the bitstream as AC3 and switches to the appropriate
decoding mode, I hear a split second of audio, and then silence. The
receiver still apears to recognize the data coming in on the SPDIF as an
Dolby Digital stream, but it's silent.

2) The overlay displays freeze the video playback almost immediately
when using XvMC acceleration. For example, when I try to watch live TV
and then try to change the channel, the gray scale overlay appears on
the screen with the program information, but the video playback stops
and never recovers.  I then have to kill the mythfrontend and restart it
to get back into the Myth menus, becase hitting the ESC key doesn't work.

3) This third one is not a problem, but rather lack of docutionation.  I
haven't been able to get a clear description what is the correct way to
set up the high definition channels in the mythbackend, so that they
would corespond with the XMLTV channel lineup.   For example, here in
Dallas, our ABC affiliate broadcasts analog on channel 8 and hidef on
channel 9, where it has two subchannels (8-1 and 8-2).  From various
places on the Internet, I was able to figure out that the freqid for
these channels should be entered as 9-1 and 9-2, but I still don't know
what it's supposed to say in the channel ID.

Any and all info on these subjects would be greatly appreciated... I
have over to $600 invested in this project at this point, and still
don't have a smoothly working setup.  Please, please, please help!