[mythtv-users] newbie questions

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Oct 19 17:48:20 UTC 2004

On 10/18/2004 11:59 PM, Christopher Flynn wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:20:51 -0700, nate s <nate.strickland at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>If your reciever has a serial port ( that may look like a phone jack,
>>a headphone plug, or something else) you can buy or make a cable to
>>control it via serial port.  If not you can use an ir blaster.
>>

>Umm... not really. A serial port is a 9 pin connector and does not
>look like a phone jack. What you are probably thinking of is the IR
>that comes with some capture cards. But yes, you can control MythTV
>with with either a homemade serial cable or one that comes with some
>capture cards.

Umm... not really.  A serial port is *typically* a 9 pin connector
although was originally a 25 pin connector.  However there are *a lot*
of cases where serial ports are not the familiar 9 pin connector.  There
are many server applications where an RJ-45 connector is used (see Digi
PortServer and Etherlite for example).

In this particular case the serial port could look like a phone jack.
The one on the back of my RCA Directv receiver is.  Be careful though it
actually uses a handset modular connector, a phone line cord won't fit.

--
David