[mythtv-users] ATI remote with FC2 / mythtv 0.16 after Jarod's guide

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 19 16:44:52 UTC 2004

David George wrote:

> On 10/19/2004 3:32 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> The build procedure for Linux 2.6 has changed rather significantly.
>> I use***:
>
> Nice, you also use logging.

I've found that sometimes--when hacking the kernel sources--I make
mistakes.  :)  Having a log of the build results really helps.  (And,
"make V=1" (verbose) is much better in this case, but can be alarming
for someone just starting out with kernel building.)

Of course, I copied my old build procedure (which &&'s the result of the
tee, which always succeeds--you'd think it was 3:30 in the morning when
I replied).  A better approach is:

( make mrproper 2>&1 | tee mkmrlog && exit $PIPESTATUS ) &&
make menuconfig
( make 2>&1 | tee mklog && exit $PIPESTATUS ) &&
make modules_install 2>&1 | tee mkmodlog
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.8.1
ln -sf System.map-2.6.8.1 /boot/System.map

to really fail if one of the make commands fail.  This allows you to
submit the first two, then the second two lines, together safely.

> In Mercury's case he was asking how to get just the ati_remote module
> built without having to completely compile his own kernel.  We found
> that he couldn't just take the Fedora sourcecode rpm and do a make
> modules on it so I suggested make bzImage before the make modules just
> to get the kernel built in case there were prerequisites.

Oh.  I probably should have reviewed the old posts.

> For the uninitiated following this thread that want to learn about
> building kernels, the last three lines (the cp's and ln) can be
> replaced by 'make install'.  make install also has the nice ability to
> automatically add your kernel to the grub.conf for those running
> grub.  It doesn't automatically switch grub to boot this new kernel by
> default though (which is wise until you test it).

Yeah, but "make install" is i386-specific.  Note, also, you could easily
create your own ~/bin/installkernel or /sbin/installkernel script
(checked in that order) to get full control over what happens when you
execute "make install".  However, I prefer forcing myself to think about
every command being executed (I've also done some stupid things that I
tend to avoid if I look at/think about each command I'm executing).

> Also, heed Mike's warnings about make mrproper, both being necessary
> and removing your .config.  Whenenver I change my .config I also make
> a copy in kernel.config so that it will survive a mrproper.

Yeah.  I keep it--and all my other configuration files--on my file
server for backup.  That's definitely come in handy before.

Mike