[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Audio Question - Sound with playback but not with Live

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 19 16:17:05 UTC 2004

Linux TV wrote:

> I fixed my problem, it was an ivtv driver setting.  Setting simpler=1
> and simple=0 in the msp3400 options of modprobe.conf fixed it.  It now
> seems to be running pretty good.  I had simple=1 and simpler was not set.

A better fix would be to take out *all* of the ivtv junk (module
options) from your modprobe.conf file.  0.2.0-rc's will autodetect the
appropriate settings--so that you don't spend days trying to figure out
why it won't work when you tell it to try to work with incorrect
settings.  See Jarod's HOWTO for info on how to configure the card (even
if you're not using ATrpms, the configuration information still
applies).  http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#capture

The ivtv drivers do exactly what they're told, so if configured
incorrectly, they will fail to work--exactly as you told them.
Basically, setting options for the ivtv modules equates to saying,
"Trust me, driver, I know what I'm doing," so make sure you actually do
know what you're doing (and why the autodetected settings are incorrect
in your specific situation).  ;)

Mike

Short summary:

Now, edit /etc/modprobe.conf to add ivtv-specific configuration info.
For the PVR-250 and PVR-250 MCE, as well as PVR-350 users that aren't
using its TV-Out, now for NTSC, PAL and SECAM alike, this should do the
trick:

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

Users of the PVR-350 will need an additional line if they want to enable
TV-Out, so their modprobe.conf additions should look like this:

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb