[mythtv-users] ATI remote with FC2 / mythtv 0.16 after Jarod's guide

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 17:25:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:22:08 -0400, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
> On 10/18/2004 11:32 AM, Mercury Morris wrote:
>
> >Followup to make modules:
> >
> >make modules began as usual (I guess) typing out
> >line after line as it processed each element.
> >
> >Then on nfs4proc, a large number of errors appeared
> >and the process stopped.
> >
> >I tried make clean followed by another make dep.
> >Then another try at make modules.  Same results
> >for fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c.
> >
> >The Kernel Rebuild Guide is still being worked on,
> >but it's "browsable".  So, I may search thru that
> >document to see if I can find a way to creat a new
> >ati_remote.ko.
> >
> >This is all quite discouraging, but the saving thought is:
> >"I am SO glad I didn't do this on the MythTV system".
> >
> >Installing MythTV and getting it running was so damn
> >hard, I would be quite depressed it I broke it over just
> >a kernel-build/module-build task.
> >

> I have to admit, I don't build many vendor kernels.  I usually get the
> kernel source from kernel.org and completely roll my own.
>
> Theoretically the config in the /boot directory is the config that
> RedHat (Fedora) used to compile the kernel that they ship, so what we
> are doing should work.
>
> Maybe you should do a make bzImage before doing the make modules.  Even
> though we aren't going to install the kernel that it builds, perhaps
> there is something that the build environment needs.

OK.  make bzImage seems reasonable.  In lieu of going thru
the huge Kernel-Rebuild-Guide, I'm trying to stumble thru a
Kernel Compilation guide from the local Linux Users Group.
It has helped me before, but that was for 2.4 kernels.

I started with the following steps, and the last one listed is
well under way.

 make dep
 make clean
 make bzImage 1>>rept