[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 04:17:11 UTC 2004

> > http://www.nop.org/inkling/dtv/
>
> >  This is where I read the LED status being in the driver. He patched
> > it to be feed out with the signal strength. Then his pchdtvr program
> > picks it up. Nice program BTW. He claims he doesn't use Myth, oh well.
> > I patched this against the 2.6.7 kernel and have had great success....
> > No sure it really differs much from the 2.6.6 patch on pchdtv.com
> > functionally, ( diff between them spits out a lot )
>
> The documentation on that site seems to indicate the LED status monitoring is
> the only significant addition. Your mention of it got me thinking about
> looking at the lights on my card while trying to tune NBC and FOX (both right
> around 50). I took a look at the lights while running the signal program, and
> with readings in the 45-52 range, the green light was locked in solid, so I
> went ahead and manually edited my db to set the low-end threshold to 45
> (since the slider only goes down to 50), and wouldn't you know it, even with
> signal strength fluctuating between 45-47 (on FOX), I can watch them just
> fine.

 Well I'm glad this discussion ended up to be so helpful :)

 Looking to the future.. What should happen here is the reed-solomon
failures ( red LED blinks ) should become in someway part of the
actual pcHDTV drivers. MythTV should then use this information to
detect whether or not to allow a channel to be brought up. Signal
strength could still be used, it would just have to be made more
consistant with the reed-solomon decoding. Consistant enough that the
signal strength being above a number, say 50, means that there are no
reed-solomon failures. Again, I believe there is a normalization
equation using frequency that can be used here.

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com