[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Audio Question - Sound with playback but not with Live

Linux TV linuxtv at thehoytfamily.com
Sun Oct 17 19:00:24 UTC 2004

I am running Myth 0.16 with a PVR-350. I am using the ivtv 0.2.0
drivers. Looks like I am running pretty good except for sound and it may
be how I have things configured.

I use the PVR-350 Out for X-Windows and for TV-Out.  The RCA Audio plugs
go to my stereo receiver. The on-board SPDIF out go to my stereo receiver.

If I record a show using Myth and use Myth to play it back, I get
excellent audio of the show through the RCA Jacks from the PVR-350. If I
play a wave file or MP3 using XMMS for XING, I get excellent sound
through the SPDIF. This is what I expect since the audio is encoded with
with the video by the PVR-350 card.  But if I watch "Live-TV", I get no
audio. For Live TV, isn't the sound encoded with the video by the
PVR-350 and then should be decoded on the way out and thus out the RCA
plugs?

I believe I have the ALSA sound set up correctly.

I am running Fedora Core 2 with a clean 2.6.7 Kernel. I compiled the
ALSA drivers myself (not an RPM).

Another question I have, although off topic for Myth. By running the X
Server through the PVR-350 card, the screen is slightly larger than the
TV such that the menu bar is off the screen.  How do I tune the clock
settings for X to make the picture smaller to fit within the screen?

Kyle