[mythtv-users] Deleting Recordings does not release Disk Space

Rob Walker rob at ladle.net
Sun Oct 17 05:12:47 UTC 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 02:56 pm, Donavan Stanley wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:48:36 -0600, Curtis Stanford
>
> <curtis at stanfordcomputing.com> wrote:
> > What's the point of having the backend if you have to mount the
> > recordings with NFS?
>
> Streaming video to the frontends is one SMALL part of what the backend
> does.  Using NFS allows you to create a directory stucture something
> like this:
>
> /myth
>   /myth/recordings
>   /myth/music
>   /myth/videos
>   /myth/artwork
>   /myth/games
>
> Then mount that tree on all remote frontends as /myth.  Then evey
> frontend has access to the same files, and in the same place.

I would have assumed (incorrectly?) that any application which was designed to
be with a frontend and a backend and whatnot would be designed to do that
whole "export the files to the clients" thing through its' own client-server
architecture.

Maybe that is in the works for later, and since NFS is already there, there's
not a whole big pressing need for the other.

rob