[mythtv-users] PVR-350, ivtvdev_drv.o, KDE desktop taking priority when it shouldn't on FC2

Michael Fenston fenston-myth at san.rr.com
Sat Oct 16 22:19:25 UTC 2004

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 10/15/2004 09:16 AM, Michael Fenston wrote:
>
>> I'm having an issue with my mythbox where it appears the KDE desktop
>> is overriding the video output display on the PVR-350.  It happens
>> randomly while watching live TV sometimes.  I left live TV running
>> all day as a burn in test and came home to find the KDE desktop with
>> the mythtv GUI blacked out.  I can hear audio when this happens and
>> can usually get back to seeing video by changing channels.  It also
>> happens when I view the EPG overlay while watching live TV
>> (consistently) but I can get out of it by pressing the Menu button
>> twice.  Any ideas on a fix for this?
>>
>> I'm running Fedora Core 2, the latest at-stable 100zz ivtv stuff from
>> atrpms (as of this morning) and the ivtvdev_drv.o file from
>> http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/
>

> Sounds like something in KDE is writing to X.  Could be a clock
> (although you said it seems ramdomly-timed, so that's unlikely), a
> status monitor dock app, biff, or something like that.  Make sure any
> and all apps that update their displays (even if in a hidden toolbar)
> are turned off/removed from the display.
>
> Mike

Hmm ... I just have the clock/clipboard tool on the task bar and it is
setup to auto-hide per Jarod's HOWTO.  Couldn't find a way to remove the
clock off the task bar ... but I think if it were hidden it would not be
updating the display?  But something like this may address the
intermittent case where the screeen just changes to X (w/ blacked out
myth GUI).

The other consistent case that happens when I view the onscreen EPG
works as follows:

1) Menu -> Program Guide -> OK (causes EPG overlay with live TV in
background)
2) Hit Menu again -> now I see X with mythtv blacked out
2) Hit Menu again -> now I'm at the point were I can re-enter the
program guide with live TV in the background

I also tried reverting my xorg.conf to the original FC2 install one and
noticed the EPG guide comes up in the myth GUI during this process so
maybe this has something to do with it?  It seems like all the other TV
overlays (like current channel, & time) do not show up in the myth GUI.

Seems like the PVR-350 is a popular card ... any users out there have
this working correctly?  Is this an ivtv driver issue?  Any help
appreciated.  Also sending a copy of this email to the ivtv development
list ... hope this is ok!

Thanks,

-Mike