[mythtv-users] Slow/choppy playback problem (not the usual ones, either!)

Joshua M. Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Sat Oct 16 01:29:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 18:08 -0700, Yan-Fa Li wrote:
> Hmmm, sorry to hear that :(  Can you figure out if your CPU supports SSE
> and/or MMX ?  cat /proc/cpuinfo will print the appropriate flags.  It's
> a celeron so it should.

Yes it supports both.

> Then you could try recompiling mythtv with:
>
> 	CXXFLAGS="-Os -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse"
>
> and see wether that helps, you would add that to the settings.pro  Also
> try enabling ALSA by uncommenting it.  Then you can try setting mythtv
> sound output to "ALSA:default" just for comparison.

I may try that tonight. The spec file I built my RPM from is the ATRPMS
spec file (minus Axel's custom macros) so I would think if the build was
broken it would break for people using his RPMs, too. But you never
know.

> Also, is the box capable of using IO-APIC on UP ?  That will distribute
> IRQs, maybe something is sharing IRQs that doesn't like sharing.  That
> would require a kernel rebuild.

As far as I know there is no ioapic on this motherboard. But even IRQ
problems should not cause such a huge difference in X's CPU usage...myth
is definitely doing something different than mplayer here. Why else
would myth make the X server use 10x as much CPU?

--
Joshua M. Thompson <funaho at jurai.org>