[mythtv-users] Slow/choppy playback problem (not the usual ones, either!)

Joshua M. Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Sat Oct 16 00:32:09 UTC 2004

Ok as expected switching to AGP did not help. Now the X CPU usage
between mplayer and mythtv is now even greater; "mplayer /dev/video0"
eats up 6.6% CPU (down from 30%) and "mythtv" eats 60% (down from 70%).

Here is another datapoint: I take an XviD file stored on my NFS server
and play it with mplayer. It plays great. I then play it with mythtv and
get the same stuttering audio and video. The output from mythtv is about
the same as watching live TV except it doesn't connect to the backend
(obviously):

2004-10-15 20:24:41 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
2004-10-15 20:24:41 Audio fragment size: 4096
2004-10-15 20:24:41 Using XV port 105
2004-10-15 20:24:41 Changing from None to WatchingPreRecorded
2004-10-15 20:24:42 prebuffering pause
2004-10-15 20:24:42 prebuffering pause
2004-10-15 20:24:43 prebuffering pause
2004-10-15 20:24:43 prebuffering pause

I'd say this at least rules out the backend. The problem is in the
frontend player somewhere. Not sure where to go from here; is there some
option I can flip or something I can change and recompile?

Oh and since my mplayer config file by default uses ALSA directly I
tried the same experiments with "mplayer -ao oss" and got the same
results, so I don't think it's the sound drivers.

--
Joshua M. Thompson <funaho at jurai.org>