[mythtv-users] Slow/choppy playback problem (not the usual ones, either!)

Joshua M. Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Fri Oct 15 04:31:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 19:27 -0700, Yan-Fa Li wrote:
> Looks like you're not running nvidia's X server driver...  Wait a
> minute.  GeForce PCI!!!!!  You're running the video off the PCI BUS ?
> Say it ain't so.

The card previously came from my old Shuttle machine which had no AGP,
so yes it is PCI and yes it's running the nvidia v61.11 drivers.

Although I could be wrong the fact that it runs great with mplayer seems
to indicate that there is some other issue. Before getting the PVR350 I
used this machine to play movies off my NFS server, and those are
custom-compressed high-bandwidth, full-resolution .ogm files (including
multiple AC-3 audio tracks) ripped right from my original DVDs. If it
can handle *those* I would think MythTV should not have a problem. Plus
lots of people use the 350 as an unaccelerated framebuffer just fine and
that's PCI too.

I can try picking up a cheap AGP card with video out over the weekend if
you really think that will help, but I strongly suspect the issue is
elsewhere based on my observations.

--
Joshua M. Thompson <funaho at jurai.org>