[mythtv-users] Unable to get video playback in MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 15 03:28:15 UTC 2004

(I'm not top-posting, so my response is below--and, I think you'll find
it worth the scrolling, if I do say so myself... ;)

On 10/12/2004 06:15 PM, Brian Matthew Sperlongano wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:54:50 -0400, Brian Matthew Sperlongano
><zelonewolf at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Actually, I had the audio device set to /dev/dsp, but I changed it to
>>/dev/dsp1 to match the dsp_nr= line in modprobe.conf.  Anyhow, I tried
>>it again, and still, it INSISTED on trying to open /dev/dsp and not
>>/dev/dsp1.
>>
>>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:04:24 -0400, Jason Slaughter <jason at slaughter.com> wrote:
>>

>>>One thing I have noticed (which may not be the case for you) is that my
>>>saa7133 TV card (using the saa7134 driver with oss=1 as an option) is
>>>creating the OSS device "/dev/dsp1" and not "/dev/dsp". I have configured, in
>>>mythtv-setup, my capture card to use "/dev/dsp1" but *every* time I load the
>>>MythTV "Watch TV" plugin it has the line: "Opening OSS audio device
>>>'/dev/dsp'." It looks like the configuration in the database (cleary
>>>specifying "/dev/dsp1") is not being read. I've tried with "/dev/dsp2" and
>>>others as well, but MythTV insists on trying only "/dev/dsp," for both live
>>>TV and scheduled recording.

>Just to see what would happen, I disabled the audio device /dev/dsp
>entirely, and below is the output that I got.  When I did that, it
>popped up a message saying that the audio device didn't work and asked
>if I wanted to continue without audio.  I chose "yes" and then the
>screen blinked for a second and then went back to mythfrontend.

The widget in which you change the audio device--although editable--is
actually a list.  Select a different device by using the left/right
arrows.  The same applies for the video and vbi devices.

If you just type a value into the box, it will not be saved.

Mike