[mythtv-users] Auto-login and associated problems...KDE 3.3 problem?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 14 19:29:12 UTC 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 10:03, Yan-Fa Li wrote:
> Jarod,
>
> looking at your excellent guide, you might want to add a bit for people
> who are prefer using KDE and the KDM Login Manager to configure their
> auto login.

Its been on my very long TODO list for a while now.

> Your guide is specifically for GDM login manager starting a
> KDE session, which may explain the confusion I had with respect to the
> autologin feature.  By default as I remember, It is not clear on FC that
> KDE Desktop users have to use gdmsetup to change their login properties.

Well, actually it is, if you're using a stock, default Fedora setup, because
kdm doesn't get installed, and there's just one menu item for Login Screen.
You have to hunt to find the kde control center to get at the kdm config
component.

>    Which means if a user sets up their default desktop to KDE via GDM it
> won't use the auto login info supplied by KDM Login Manager tool, which
> they would naturally use to configure autologin via the KDE desktop.  Do
> you get my drift ?

This really only becomes an issue when people add the kde-redhat packages,
which install kdm and force it into use over gdm. But yes, I fully
understand. I'll get to it eventually.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com