[mythtv-users] Subtitle (Teletext) recording and PVR-350?

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Thu Oct 14 17:04:54 UTC 2004

Piers Kittel wrote:

> Joseph,
>
>> Ah, here's the problem -- you're encountering different people's
>> definitions of 'digital' and 'analog' w.r.t. tuner cards.
>

> Aha!  Got ya!  Thanks :)
>
>> If you're recording from a digital STB, Myth may not have access to
>> the VBI subtitle data no matter what kind of card you get.
>> Presumably it's the STB that's rendering the subtitles onto the
>> picture, after having decoded them from the digital transmission (you
>> can probably check this -- is the control that you use to turn
>> Teletext on/off on your STB remote or your TV remote?).  All Myth can
>> do at that point is record the complete picture with the subtitles
>> pre-rendered.
>

> Yeah - the STB "pastes" the digital subtitles onto the picture itself
> which is how I record subtitles with my non subtitle compatiable VCR.
> But the STB subtitles is a little unreliable (not sure if it's the box
> (2nd hand one off Ebay) or the aerial as it's probably 20-30 years
> old) compared to analog.  This will definitely need careful considering:
>
> 1) Go for Analogue card only - enjoy analogue subtitles or digital
> subs via STB but at cost of CPU power and upgrade to PVR-350 or DVB at
> a later date
> 2) Go for PVR-350 - enjoy digital subs only

Nope, analoque subs only. Its a card that takes an analoque signal and
does real-time compression on the card. Can deliver VBI stream, though
driver support not yet stable (but coming along nicely). Once VBI
support is stable in a stable release (which is being worked on), mythtv
will have to be modified to support it. Quit some people are hoping for
that to happen...

Rudy