[mythtv-users] Subtitle (Teletext) recording and PVR-350?

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Thu Oct 14 16:14:02 UTC 2004

Joseph,

> Ah, here's the problem -- you're encountering different people's
> definitions of 'digital' and 'analog' w.r.t. tuner cards.

Aha!  Got ya!  Thanks :)

> If you're recording from a digital STB, Myth may not have access to the
> VBI subtitle data no matter what kind of card you get.  Presumably it's
> the STB that's rendering the subtitles onto the picture, after having
> decoded them from the digital transmission (you can probably check this
> -- is the control that you use to turn Teletext on/off on your STB
> remote or your TV remote?).  All Myth can do at that point is record
> the complete picture with the subtitles pre-rendered.

Yeah - the STB "pastes" the digital subtitles onto the picture itself
which is how I record subtitles with my non subtitle compatiable VCR.
But the STB subtitles is a little unreliable (not sure if it's the box
(2nd hand one off Ebay) or the aerial as it's probably 20-30 years old)
compared to analog.  This will definitely need careful considering:

1) Go for Analogue card only - enjoy analogue subtitles or digital subs
via STB but at cost of CPU power and upgrade to PVR-350 or DVB at a
later date
2) Go for PVR-350 - enjoy digital subs only
3) Go for both - enjoy analogue or digital subs.

Need thinking on my part.  Oh well.  Hard! :)

Thanks very much for your help mate!

Cheers - Piers