[mythtv-users] Slight picture jerk every 10secs

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Thu Oct 14 12:02:46 UTC 2004

Dan Robinson wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm running the latest setup from Jarod's guide along with 2 Nova-T
> cards.  Since moving to FC2 and the latest DVB modules then stability
> has really improved.  However, I'm noticing that when recording on
> both cards and watching a previous recording, then I get a slight
> picture jerk every 10 to 15 secs.  There isn't a jump in sound, it
> just looks like some frames get skipped.  I don't think my system is
> really being over worked, but I could be wrong.

One possibility is that the refresh rate of your output device doesn't
match the video's framerate.

Check the output of 'mythfrontend --verbose playback' and see if there
are any clues.

Does this only happen when recording 2x and also watching -- i.e. is it
load-dependent?  Might help to verify that mythfrontend is installed
SUID root.  Otherwise, I'd say the DVB driver (or your disk or network,
or MySQL, or....) may be hogging the CPU for a while, causing the video
out thread to miss a refresh.  If you're not running a 2.6 kernel, it
might help to switch, or make sure kernel preemption is turned on.

-Doug