[mythtv-users] fast audio and video

John Andersen jsa at video.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 14 05:00:06 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 11:00, Scott Mazur wrote:
> Chris,
>
> This was recently discovered on the ivtv list.  Your recoding Profile must
> be set to 720 x 480 with the recent ivtv drivers.

Nope, Scott, not true.

> I don't know if this is
> the rule or only affects certain people (like me).  My default myth profile
> was set for 480 x 480 (settings, TV, Recording profiles, MPEG-2 Encoders).

I still think it must be YOU   ;-)

I've had my recording profile set to 480/480 and it works
just fine for me.  So what ever it was that you fixed by setting
720/480 was tangential at best.  BTW, I'm using ck115e
and myth 0.16.  My high-quality profile (which I never use) is
the only one that has 720/480.

So the fix posted on ivtv simply masks the problem that must
be somewhere else, or it would fail ( "Chipmunk" ) for all of us.

As Isasc pointed out on the ivtv list:
----quote
"What makes you think that 720x480 is better?  It's an analog signal, the
horizontal sampling rate isn't coming in to the capture card at _any_ given
number of pixels.  Why do you think a recording made at 720x480 (ie, with a
pixel aspect ratio of 3:2, not 4:3) doesn't play back letterboxed when
displayed on a standard 4:3 monitor/television?"
---end-quote.
--