[mythtv-users] Deleting Recordings does not release Disk Space

Eric S myth.meister at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 02:39:29 UTC 2004

Hope we can get to the bottom of this problem, I believe it is new for
me since upgrading to 0.16, I believe 0.15 was ok in this sense.

I think this is a MAJOR bug and would like to see a fix back patched
into the 0.16 release.

Deleting files in Manage/Delete (or under Watch Recordings) does not
free the disk space.   Checking df before and after deleting the
recording also reflects this issue.

The space is finally released when the backend is rebooted,  when
coming back up the error messages displayed are 'clearing orphaned
inode' for each file/recording that was deleted through the frontend
since the last reboot . . .

My understanding (limited) is that this is symptomatic of the file
being held open (in reserve?) by another program/task/thread.   Only
rebooting seems to release this hold.  Is Myth itself holding these
files?

This issue sounds suspiciously similar to some of the comments in the
Autoexpire thread here on the list recently.  If the deleting
recordings does not release disk space then autoexpire would continue
to clear old recordings??  I don't have an autoexpire issue because my
installation is fairly fresh with enough disk space currently.

Info:
Backend:  Debian 2.6.8,  recordings go in Ext3 LVM partition
Permissions in recording directory looks like -rw-r--r--  1 mythtv mythtv
Debian 0.16 Myth Packages . . . .

Remote Frontend:  Debian 2.4.25?

Thanks in Advance,
Eric