[mythtv-users] Re: Why only numeric IP addresses work?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 02:23:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:57:29 -0400
"IvanK." <chepati at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is the stupidest use of dyndns I've ever heard of and people who
> do this should be denied internet access for a month :-)
>
> That's like taking the free communal bus to go from your porch to your
> backyard, cause you're too lazy to walk across the house.  And it
> takes you longer too, but I'd say you deserve this.
>
> Is the overhead incurred in doing dns queries worth the effort you
> save by not including an entry in your hosts file???
>
> Sheesh...  I'm using hn.org (a dyndns equivalent) and I'd hate to see
> people tieing resources for local dns queries.
>
> Joseph, this is not meant as a critique of you, but people who'd use
> dyndns for that purpose.

Understood; personally, I'm surprised the DynDNS (or any dynamic DNS
service) would allow 'internal' IP addresses to be registered, both to
limit resource usage and also because I could envision this being a
potential security hazard.  I myself use /etc/hosts entries, though one
of these days I'd like to try my hand at setting up a nameserver.

-JAC