[mythtv-users] Having trouble importing mc.sql into MySQL.

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Oct 13 21:57:57 UTC 2004

sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com wrote:
> I'm in the process of setuping up MythTV for the first time.
> I'm currently at http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html in the setup.
> I'm having trouble importing mc.sql into MySQL.
> I'm running Slackware 10.0 on an Intel Pentium III machine.
>
> root# mysql < mc.sql
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO)
> root# mysql --user=mysql < mc.sql
> ERROR 1044 at line 1: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'mythconverg'

These both say that you are not authenticated to connect and
do anything useful. The user you want is "root" (the mysql user
which is not the same as the /etc/passwd unix superuser "root")
and not a user named "mysql".

> I lack "any" relational database experience. What am I doing wrong?
>         PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
>        	To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
>         /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
>        	/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h www password 'new-password'
>         See the manual for more instructions.

So did you? The howto assumes that there is no password requred
for the mysql user "root". Therefore "mysql < mc.sql" simply
logs in as root. If you did set a password, try:

  mysql -u root -pyourpassword < mc.sql

Once this succeeded, you would normally access the mythconverg
database as the user "mythtv" so your commandline to do anything
for myth will then be:

  mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

--  bjm