[mythtv-users] Re: minimalist hardware for mythtv backend using PVR-350 or PVR-250?

Andrew Plumb aplumb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 13:40:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:55:19 -0700, Yan-Fa Li <yanfali at best.com> wrote:
> That sounds like so much fun.  You have to post pictures of this when
> you're done!  Looking forward to seeing your project completed.  Don't
> think USB1 will cut it.  Only 12mbits/sec.  That's about 1MB/s.  Also
> even USB2 drives are pretty CPU intensive, so you might want to
> reconsider.  That's why a lot of people use Firewire, lower CPU load.
[deletia]

Yeah, I think I'll stick to the internal IDE drive for direct-to-disk
storage.  USB mass storage devices should be hot-swappable though, for
offloading data via nuvexport.  Ditto for serving up files via NFS
and/or Samba...  I like the NAS (network attached storage) concept
because it keeps the functionality completely platform independent.

...And I won't wait until it's done to post pictures either. ;-)  I've
been looking for an excuse to dive back into LFS, so I'm glad to see
others are already doing MythTV on LFS successfully.

Andrew.

--

If you don't know what to do, do something.