[mythtv-users] Question -- Attempting MythTV Build with LFS

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 00:18:33 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 07:30 pm, Jim Gifford wrote:
>  Here is what I have hardware wise available.
>
>     AMD Thunderbird 1.1 ghz
>     768 MB RAM
>     Hauppauge PVR-350
>     Creative DRX-3
>     Sound Blaster 16 PCI
>     Wireless Network Adapter
>     10 GB - Hard Drive 7200 RPM - For LFS/Mythtv Requirement
>
> I'm getting ready to attempt to build a base Linux From Scratch System,
> with all the needed MythTV requirements. Here are my questions:
>
>     1 - Is my hardware OK? If not, what piece is lacking
>
>     2 - Do I need both the PVR-350 and DRX-3, if I want to be able to
> record, and do playback at the same time.
>
>     3 - Has anyone attempted to build this on a LFS system before, if so
> any pointers?

Jarod raised some very good and valid questions and doubts about your proposed
hardware so I won't go there.  I'll answer the LFS part of your question.  I
have been runing LFS on all of my computers for three years and my mythbox is
on LFS 5.1.  No problems at all.  Feel free to post on or off-list if you
have LFS specific questions.  If your questions are myth-related, you should
keep them on the list cause they may benefit others.

IvanK.

ps: Since you'll spend most of your time compiling (and on that CPU it will
take quite some time), remember to compile qt with mysql support.  The BLFS
instructions omit that, and it's *crucial* as far as mythtv is concerned.  I
don't want you to spend 3 hours (that's roughly what it'll take you to
compile qt/examples/documentation on your cpu) and realise you don't have
mysql support.