[mythtv-users] Re: Athlon processors was: HDTV on Myth -- not a "myth" CONCLUSION

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Wed Oct 13 00:04:33 UTC 2004

If you do recompile try the CFLAGS "-Os -march=athlon-xp" on both your
kernel and your mythtv installation.  You'll find that in
arch/i386/Makefile for the kernel and you just need to add the
optimizations to the settings.pro file for mythtv.

That's what I use on all my linux and myth boxes and they seem to run
just fine, though I'm not hardcore like you guys and have no HDTV.
There's anecdotal evidence on the linux-kernel mailing list that
optimizing for cache usage improves performance system wide.

GCC Manual:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options

-Os
     Optimize for size. -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not
typically increase code size. It also performs further optimizations
designed to reduce code size.

     -Os disables the following optimization flags:

           -falign-functions  -falign-jumps  -falign-loops
           -falign-labels  -freorder-blocks
	  -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fprefetch-loop-arrays