[mythtv-users] Why only numeric IP addresses work?

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 21:37:33 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 04:45 pm, Scott Mazur wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:53:21 -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote
>
> > On Tuesday 12 October 2004 14:12, Scott Mazur wrote:
> > > I'm going to re-drege this thread.
> > >
> > > My local network is setup on DCHP.  Other than the DCHP server box,
> > > all the other boxes (including the myth master) are assigned
> > > dynamically.
> > >
> > > When it comes time to setup another frontend box on the network, I'd
> > > like to just point it to the name of the myth master, but instead I
> > > have to set it to what really amounts to a temporary IP address.
> > > Now, realistically, the IPs assigned will probably never change on my
> > > local network, but hard coding a dynamic IP address kind of defeats
> > > the purpose.

what "puspose"?

Out of curiosity, did you already try using a hostname in mythsetup or are you
arguing academicaly, that is, based on a hypothesis?  As long as your DNS
setup is good I see no reason why it shouldn't "just work."

If indeed only IPs are allowed I can see why -- myth shouldn't rely on
external helpers (in this case DNS) to find its backend.  Suppose your DHCP
and/or DNS server became unavailable and the lease expired?  What does dhcp
do in that case?  For small networks, DHCP is superfluous and people who
quote convenience often hide laziness.  I don't want to get into heated
polemics over DHCP and static, but I have yet to see a homegeneously dynamic
ip network -- you always reserve a few static IPs.  How often do you expect
to move your mythtv frontend/backend in and out of your private network?
What's the use of DHCP then?  Unless of course you use a laptop for the
frontend.  Do what people already suggested and bind IPs to MACs and still
enjoy DHCP.

IvanK.