[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 12 04:26:04 UTC 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 18:13, jack wrote:

> I had pretty much all the problems you described but I knocked them
> off one
> by one on an AMD64 3400. The one I can't get rid of is signal
> strength... I
> can only get into the high 80's on one channel at a time with a highly
> directional antenna (the silver sensor).

You don't need a high 80s signal to get a good recording though. My
*strongest* signals (I live about 20 miles outside Seattle) are in the
high 60s. All the high 60s recordings are perfect. A few of my stations
come in with signals in the low 50s, and while I get the occasional
failed recording due to lack of signal lock, when they do record, 99%
of the video is perfectly fine (every once in a blue moon, there's some
pixelization in the video stream where I presume the signal dropped a
bit).

> Mythtv works great with my pvr250's though =)

Yeah, stability is a little better there, but there's no comparison in
picture quality. I record anything and everything I can in HD now, and
I'm still amazed at how BAD standard-def video looks after watching a
few programs in HD. ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com