[mythtv-users] Performance issue

Ryan A. Carris racarris at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 18:39:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:50:15 -0400, Matt Vollmar <matt at vollmars.com> wrote:
> Hi Mythical World,
(snip)
> I just built a new box:
> - Shuttle SS51G V.2.0
> - Celeron 2.4 GHz
> - 512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM
> - Western Digital 120 GB HD (8MB Cache, 7200 RPM)
> - PNY NVidia MX440 64MB DDR AGP (6111 Drivers)
> - ATI TV Wonder PCI
> - External DVD Writer via USB (for boot) or IEEE1394
> - Mandrake 10.0 upgraded to Cooker (so basically 10.1)
> - MythTv with all plugins from the site - CVS version
>    -- Alsa AND OSS compiled in because I wasn't sure if that was my prob
>    -- XvMC compiled in because I have the MX440
>
> Rules the Universe except for one thing:  I cannot watch Live TV without
> the infamous "prebuffering pause".  I've tried a bunch of different

(snip)

> The recording seems to be the problem.  Here are my settings:
> TV Playback:
> - Deinterlace with Bob (2x) -- I figure since I have XvMC compiled in
> (kernel makes no difference)
(Snip)

> Matt

Try turning off Bob deinterlacing.  Bob is big time CPU intensive and
most likely causing your problems.  I would suggest the standard
deinterlace or kerneldeint ( kerneldeint requires about 15% more CPU
than the standard deinterlace on my Athlon 2400+, have not tried the
Bob).

I used to run an Athlon 1800+ w/ a Hauppauge WinTV 401 (same as yours)
w/o stuttering at 640x480 and bitrate=4400.

-rac