[mythtv-users] Performance issue

Matt Vollmar matt at vollmars.com
Mon Oct 11 14:56:23 UTC 2004

Matt Vollmar wrote:

> William wrote:
>
>>> I just realized that maybe I didn't state my question.  :-)  Is this
>>> performance normal?  I saw other people saying that there should be
>>> no problem recording and watching a recording at the same time with
>>> this type of system (or doing more).  Please help!  I bought this
>>> system so that I could record and watch at the same time.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Matt

>>> list just

>>> was my prob

>> Try recompiling without the xvmc support. Use the plain Xv drivers. Your
>> system is probably right on the edge performance wise due to the fact
>> that
>> you use a software encoded ATI card. I had many problems with stuttering
>> until I got rid of that compile option.
>> If that does not fix it, perhaps its time for an upgrade. Switch to a
>> PVR-250 card or other hardware capture card and lighten the processor
>> load.
>>
>> Bill

> Thanks for your input.  I tried with just XV before, but I will try it
> again.
>
> The one thing that bugs me about that is that the HOWTO states this:
>
> Here are a few data points:
>
>    * A PIII/733MHz system can encode one video stream using the MPEG-4
>      codec using 480x480 capture resolution. This does not allow for
>      live TV watching, but does allow for encoding video and then
>      watching it later.
>    * A developer states that his AMD1800+ system can *almost* encode
>      two MPEG-4 video streams and watch one program simultaneously.
>    * A PIII/800MHz system with 512MB RAM can encode one video stream
>      using the RTjpeg codec with 480x480 capture resolution and play it
>      back simultaneously, thereby allowing live TV watching.
>    * A dual Celeron/450MHz is able to view a 480x480 MPEG-4/3300kbps
>      file created on a different system with 30% CPU usage.
>    * A P4 2.4GHz machine can encode two 3300Kbps 480x480 MPEG-4 files
>      and simultaneously serve content to a remote frontend.
>
> That bottom one basically tells me that I should be able to encode one
> and watch one...additionally, the one with the AMD1800+ is well below
> my specs.  If it's just not going to be possible, then I won't worry
> about it, since I don't normally just watch TV, but I want to be able
> to watch a movie even if one is being recorded.
>
> Any other ideas?

Just tried it without the XvMC (and with XV), to no avail.  I also just
read more about the alsa 1.0.6 problem.  I have alsa 1.0.6.
Unfortunately for me, Mandrake Cooker (or 10.1) is at 1.0.6 and Mandrake
10.0 is at 1.0.2.  Not sure I want to go that far back, but I know I
have to do something.  Anyone know if this will break me (yeah, this is
OT)?  I haven't been able to find any mention of the Alsa problem
outside of this list.

Matt