[mythtv-users] Performance issue

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sun Oct 10 11:43:55 UTC 2004

> I just realized that maybe I didn't state my question.  :-)  Is this
> performance normal?  I saw other people saying that there
> should be no
> problem recording and watching a recording at the same time with this
> type of system (or doing more).  Please help!  I bought this
> system so
> that I could record and watch at the same time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>
> Matt Vollmar wrote:
>
> > Hi Mythical World,
> >
> > First of all, I add my thanks to the long list that has already
> > accumulated.  I'm sure we will soon have to start a mailing
> list just
> > for thanks soon.
> >
> > I just built a new box:
> > - Shuttle SS51G V.2.0
> > - Celeron 2.4 GHz
> > - 512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM
> > - Western Digital 120 GB HD (8MB Cache, 7200 RPM)
> > - PNY NVidia MX440 64MB DDR AGP (6111 Drivers)
> > - ATI TV Wonder PCI
> > - External DVD Writer via USB (for boot) or IEEE1394
> > - Mandrake 10.0 upgraded to Cooker (so basically 10.1)
> > - MythTv with all plugins from the site - CVS version
> >   -- Alsa AND OSS compiled in because I wasn't sure if that
> was my prob
> >   -- XvMC compiled in because I have the MX440

Try recompiling without the xvmc support. Use the plain Xv drivers. Your
system is probably right on the edge performance wise due to the fact that
you use a software encoded ATI card. I had many problems with stuttering
until I got rid of that compile option.

If that does not fix it, perhaps its time for an upgrade. Switch to a
PVR-250 card or other hardware capture card and lighten the processor load.

Bill