[mythtv-users] X Freezes blank on 'watch tv'

Kevin Clayton kevin.clayton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 14:42:16 UTC 2004

Wohooo !  I don't want to jinx myself but I think I have
achieved success !

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:47:08 -0400, Doug Larrick <doug AT ties.org> wrote:
> Kevin Clayton wrote:
> > 2004-10-08 16:46:09 Using deinterlace method linearblend
> > 2004-10-08 16:46:10 nVidiaVideoSync: VBlank ioctl did not work,
> > unimplemented in this driver?
> > 2004-10-08 16:46:10 DRMVideoSync: Could not open device
> > /dev/dri/card0, Permission denied
> > 2004-10-08 16:46:10 RTCVideoSync: Could not set RTC frequency,
> > Permission denied.
> > 2004-10-08 16:46:10 Using audio as timebase
> > 2004-10-08 16:46:10 Video timing method: USleep with busy wait
>
> You'll get a little bit of CPU time back if you make sure /dev/rtc is
> readable & writeable by your Myth user, and arrange to 'echo 1024 >
> /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq' at boot time.

I have not adressed this but will look into it. I want to enjoy my system
working at least as it is now before I mess with it and potentially do
damage :)

> I agree, though... something is screwy if your X server is freezing.
> Have you tried playing with the NvAGP option (selects whether to use
> your kernel's agp driver or nVidia's)?

I started investigating Doug's above suggestion.
In doing so, I found that somehow my xorg.conf  was not
using the Driver that I thought it was ...

I changed it from "Driver" "nv" to "Driver" to "nvidia"

After rebooting --- I can now watch LiveTV, I can watch recorded
programs.

So -- in my case,  my X freeze, cpu usage issues seemed to be a direct result
of not using the correct video drivers ....

I'm going to review Jarod's HOWTO guide again to see what else I find
that may not be correctly setup.

Thanks to the ivtv and the mythtv developers for a great system,
thanks to Jarod for the HOWTO guide, and thanks to the users on this
list who chipped in and gave me advice and suggestions.