[mythtv-users] CPU power and decoding

Pete Cable petercable at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 04:37:58 UTC 2004

I have an athlon 2400 in my myth box. That said, in addition to
recording off of 2 pvr250s and auto-transcoding everything, I also run
an active web server and a teamspeak (voice chat) server. I never have
any problems with pauses/skipping while playing back recorded
programming.

In addition to the pvr250 presenting less of a system load, I have
found them to be much more reliable than my averTv bt848 card that I
used previously.

The way I usually pick which CPU to buy is simple. I check the prices
of all the available chips (usually AMD, Intel is just too expensive)
and I find the point where the price stops incrementing in amounts of
$10 or so and jumps into the $50+ range per model. I buy at this
point. Pricewatch.com puts the Athlon 3000/Athlon 64 2800 at this
pricepoint now. Sure you could get a slower processor, but for a few
bux extra you get a whole lot more.