[mythtv-users] Re:X Freezes blank on 'watch tv'

mark mckelvey memckelvey at comcast.net
Fri Oct 8 16:47:36 UTC 2004

I have been having the same problem with my dual 833Mhz PIII mythbox
(Dell Precision 420, 256Mb RAMBUS, PVR-250, 108ck ivtv, atrpms install
per Jarod, 6111 nvidia driver) .  Mythvideo playback was working fine.
Last night I may have fixed it so that everything is working, or maybe
not of course :)

I scanned these posts and didn't find any details of your cpu spec, but
i suspect that my box may have been having problems
scaling/deinterlacing under live-TV and playback of recordings.  When I
changed to 800x600 resolution through the S-Video out on my PNY MX440
card, everything started working.  So if you are using a ~1280x1024-ish
resolution on old-ish hardware like I was, I suggest you try reducing
the resolution and see what effect that might have on the problem.

I have no idea how the scaling and xv-overlay work, so I might be
talking nonsense (especially seeing as how the problem seems to come
and go as it pleases), but at least for me, at least for now, this
fixed the problem.  I suspect that it may be related to cpu power
because I have never seen the problem with my XP1700+ mythbox which is
running the same software versions all around.  If you're running dual
6GHz P4s or something, it's probably something else :)