[mythtv-users] FC2 Kernel update gone wrong

Ryan Kehoe ryanskehoe at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 15:17:55 UTC 2004

I am attempting to build my first Myth box on FC2.  I am following Jarod
Wilson's Howto.  I have very little experience with Linux but did
successfully follow Jarod's FC1 Howto to a working Myth box.

Per the document I upgraded to kernel 2.6.8-1.521 through the following
method:
          apt-get install kernel#2.6.8-1.521

When I try to boot to this new kernel the system hangs.  The boot screen
indicates that it is probing for new hardware and the details shows it is
hung 'looking for new hardware'.

I am perplexed because there were no hardware changes made and there is
almost no info provided that helps me troubleshoot.

I can still boot to the old kernel without issue.  What can I do to try and
determine the real issue here?  Is this a common problem with this kernel
upgrade?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan