[mythtv-users] Help with ivtv & sbp2 mass storage on bootup

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 8 14:16:13 UTC 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 20:43, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2004 11:35, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > > Just saw something else from another M179 user saying that
> > > bumping to the very latest firmware has improved picture quality
> > > significantly, maybe it'd help w/initialization and/or
> > > longer-term picture quality also. I need to try that out
> > > myself...
> >
> > Has there been new firmware recently?  I thought that the Hauppauge
> > Windows drivers had been updated but that the firmware in them was
> > them same, though it's been a while since I checked...
>
> There was a new one just a bit ago, its now in a .inf file, instead
> of in the driver itself. I believe someone updated the firmware
> versions page in the ivtv wiki w/details...

> [snip]
>
> > > My guess is that your problems would go away if you had sbp2
> > > loaded from your initrd.
> >
> > Actually, it seems like the problem is more a question of the sbp2
> > module being loaded too early.  I suspect that the module gets
> > loaded before my 1394 host adapter card is fully initialized; if
> > that's the case, I'd suspect moving it even *earlier* in the boot
> > sequence wouldn't help.
>
> Let me clarify why I said put the sbp2 module *and dependencies* in
> your initrd. You can explicitly tell the initrd to load up the
> firewire card drivers from there before loading the sbp2 module.
> Basically, just:
>
> 1) cp /boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img ~/
> 2) mv initrd-<kernel version>.img initrd-<kernel version>.img.gz
> 3) gunzip initrd-<kernel version>.img.gz
> 4) mkdir /mnt/initrd (or where ever else you like)
> 5) mount -o loop initrd-<kernel version>.img /mnt/initrd
> 6) cd /mnt/initd
> 7) cp /path/to/spb2.o lib/ (repeat for other modules)
> 8) vi linuxrc (add lines just like the ones in there to load up the
> modules you just copied over)
> 9) cd
> 10) umount /mnt/initrd
> 11) gzip initrd-<kernel version>.img
> 12) mv initrd-<kernel version>.img.gz /boot/initrd-<kernel
> version>.img 13) reboot, see what happens, rinse and repeat if
> necessary
>
> I had to reboot a few times to get all the modules incorporated for
> rhgb on it), but there shouldn't be quite as many dependent modules
> for sbp2. You might also want to back up your original initrd while
> you're at it, just in case.

Thanks for the quick tutorial on tweaking my initrd!

However, I don't think it's a question of the firewire card drivers not
being loaded before the sbp2 module.  I have the following lines in
my /etc/modules.conf:

post-install sbp2 /usr/local/sbin/rescan_scsi_bus
post-remove  sbp2 /usr/local/sbin/rescan_scsi_bus
add below sbp2 ieee1394 scsi_mod sg

I suspect it may be the host adapter itself that just takes too long
after initialization to detect connected devices.

> > Or, it could be my external 1394 device that's taking
> > its time; either way, I think "modprobe -r spb2 ; modprobe sbp2 ;
> > mount -a" in my rc.local might do the trick.
>
> That'd require a lot less hacking. :-)

And it works :-)

However, my ivtv problem still remains.  I added an explicit unload/
reload of the ivtv module to my mythbackend startup script.  However,
after booting, I still get no response from /dev/video0.  ( /dev/video1
seems fine).  I'll try the ck100zz version this weekend and see if that
helps.

Thanks,

JAC