[mythtv-users] CPU power and decoding

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Oct 8 11:33:12 UTC 2004

> Commflagging takes up about 15% CPU. To put it blunty, pretty much any CPU
> you can buy today is vastly overpowered for Myth related activities. You only
> ever need CPU horsepower of this magnitude if you're software encoding
> multiple streams to MPEG4 or playing back HDTV.
>
> You only really need the CPU power for [en|trans]coding movies or music, or
> for fullscreen goom.
>
> Save the money on CPU and sink it into more hard drives or tuner cards.

 	Exactly... I'm currently working on trying to *underclock* my Dual
PIII-750 machine to try to make it quieter.

 	I would suggest getting the cheapest bang/buck CPU... mythtv
doesn't need a lot unless software encoding or transcoding a lot.  Even
with transcoding, if you aren't having it do much, does you really care if
it gets done transcoding at 2:00am vs 6:00am from a show recorded at
midnight?

-Cory