[mythtv-users] Re: Transcoded file not playing back on PVR-350 out

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 8 00:29:27 EDT 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 20:56, DCL wrote:

> >> If so, what settings should I set up for transcoding and/or
> >> playback?
>
> > Enable the MPEG2 transcoding option (you've got to hack a C++
> > file and then rebuild MythTV), and then select MPEG2 output
> > format instead of MPEG4 or RTJPEG.  Then you'll have to arrange
> > to run the commerical-flagging program with the -rebuild flag
> > to regenerated the seek database for the file.
>
> How would I do this?  Has anybody already hacked the C++ code for
> transcoding to MPEG2?  Will this even compress the file enough to make
> it worth it?

The files recorded by PVR-x50 cards all start out as mpeg2 files, so
there's no point in transcoding them to mpeg2. Cut out commercials and
save a resulting file without them, yes, but that's not transcoding.
(Can't remember what the status of support for that directly in Myth
is).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com