[mythtv-users] Re: Transcoded file not playing back on PVR-350 out

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Oct 6 22:24:38 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 07:03:06PM -0700, DCL wrote:

> Once I transcode a .nuv file it will not play back through my PVR-350.

What format did you transcode to?  AFAIK, the PVR-350 only
plays MPEG2 streams. Transcoding to MPEG2 is disabled by
default, so you're probably not transcoding to MPEG2.

> Acutally it blanks my CRT and nothing shows on the TV.  I am
> then unable to return to the program.  I can however putty in
> to my Myth box from a Windows machine where I am limited to
> what I can do before the Myth box locks up completely.
>
> Can transcoded files be played back to a TV through a PVR-350?

Only if they're MPEG2.  [Though I'd be pleased as punch to find
out I'm wrong and the '350 can play MPEG4 streams...]

> If so, what settings should I set up for transcoding and/or
> playback?

Enable the MPEG2 transcoding option (you've got to hack a C++
file and then rebuild MythTV), and then select MPEG2 output
format instead of MPEG4 or RTJPEG.  Then you'll have to arrange
to run the commerical-flagging program with the -rebuild flag
to regenerated the seek database for the file.

--
Grant