[mythtv-users] Transcoding recordings

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 6 16:32:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 06:02:39PM +0200, KvB wrote:
>    I still can't figure out this transcoding thing. One moment when I set
>    "Start  transcoding" it doesn't do anything at all, the other it works
>    like  a  charm.  Now, I changed the recording profiles for transcoders
>    and  set  all  to 720*576 since all my recordings have that resolution
>    (PAL).  When  I  started  transcoding  a  friends episode yesterday, I
>    discovered that by the time I woke up this morning, this recording was
>    9Gb  large  (!) for 25 minutes! Could anyone explain this? Or is there
>    somewhere a decent manual / HOWTO for transcoding? Thanks!

Transcoding is done by the back end when it scans it's work queue, so
it isn't guaranteed to start immediately when you mark something on the
front end.

That said, we too have problems (.16 and 10/01 CVS) with mythtranscode
creating files larger than the original -- in some cases *far* larger.
We had a 1.9GB MPEG-2 episode blow up to 40GB on an MPEG-4 transcode
the other day.  I'm trying to capture one before we have to kill it,
for further analysis.

Cheers,
- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi