[mythtv-users] Group advice sought on setup please.

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Oct 5 10:04:55 EDT 2004

 	There's a few issues going on here.  There's the perceived problem
of interlacing, and then there's the *induced* problem of interlacing.
NTSC/PAL *IS* interlaced.  Get over it.  Any amount of "flicker
filtering," scanline conversion, downsampling, resolution, modelines,
overscan, etc, etc, is *NOT* going to change the crappy quality of SDTV.
That is the perceived problem of interlacing that with the appropriate
video card, scanline converter, PVR-350, the quality can be made better.
Almost always, the performance of VGA TVOUT cards sucks because the card
has to do hardware scaling and resampling of the actual high-quality video
it's putting out the VGA port.

 	That leads to the "induced" problem of tvout cards.  All the rate
conversions, scaling, etc, etc process the video to somethign different
than the native one (e.g. 800x600 at 75Hz).  Some do this better than others,
but the "flicker-filter" is generally a band-aid to try to make a crappy
solution look less annoying.  I just tried a GF4-MX440 with tvout I had
given to me.  Better than my GF2-MX400 that had sub-par VIVO, but still
crap with weird interlacing artifacts.

 	The problem is that computer graphics cards and monitors are very
flexible.  Gone are the days of VGA, SVGA, XGA and fixed-frequency
monitors so people have gotten used to being able to set the resolution
and frequency to whatever their multiscan monitors can do.  TV has a
specific standard that must be adhered to, or it won't work.  The vast
majority of the tvout cards do the glue to make whatever you set the card
up for compatible out the composite port.  They basically took the hard
work from you and did it for you... with a number of tradeoffs that you no
longer have control over.

 	If you've got the VGA-Component setup and can work through getting
the myriad of configuration issues *NECESSARY* to put out a
spec-compatible signal, you will be disappointed with the quality of most
other tvout solutions.	Besides, TVOUT cards generally have configuration
problems of their own (xorg.conf file hacking, overscanning options, etc,
etc).

 	Sorry for the rant, but I feel it had to be said... :)  I'll say
it again.... SDTV sucks.   It always has, and it always will.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss							*
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 			*