[mythtv-users] Hauppauge card clarification. Different 250's?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 5 01:49:46 UTC 2004

On 10/04/2004 08:59 PM, mark wrote:

> I am purchasing 2 PVR-250 cards.  I am seeing some different part
> numbers though.
>
> One here is called the Hauppauge WinTV 250. Part # 976.

(You mean 975?  Hauppauge doesn't have a model 976.  See
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare_pvr.html .)

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.23

> I want to make sure I get the right 250.  What is the part number of
> the well supported one that I read about in these forums?
> How can I identify the correct model #?

As far as model numbers go, 975, 980, and 990 (PVR-350) are all
supported by ivtv.  However, there are a few 980's with the "blackbird"
design that are not supported by ivtv.  For these, you would have to use
the cx88 driver with Jelle Fok's blackbird patch (
http://www.foks.8m.com/cx88-blackbird.html ).  Models 941, 1045, 1042,
and whatever they call the PVR-500 are not supported by ivtv.

Identifying which item you're ordering can be much more difficult if the
retailer doesn't give a model number.  Most retailers use incorrect
names for the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-x50's, making it hard to identify
exactly what you're getting.  Some provide pictures, but the card that's
shipped isn't always the card pictured.  Although there is a small
chance you could end up with a "blackbird" design (rev 28xxx,
http://www.shspvr.com/pvr_model/haup_roslyn.jpg), these cards are not
that common.

Mike